Thursday, February 21, 2019

Week 7 Pink Party

Full disclosure, I have made this dress before. Like a lot. It use to be one of my go to patterns before I had children. I bought this one at a local thrift store while I was in high school. I have made this dress for personal use, for friends, and for stage with the local Theatre group. It's a good one. Simplicity 4491 from 1962 size 11 bust 31 1/2". I know it might seem a cheat to do a pattern that I'm so familiar with, but I love this one so much. Plus it's just so pretty that I couldn't imagine doing this project with out it.
She's been well loved
This pattern is so easy. It features 4 main body pattern pieces, one sleeve option, and neck, back,and arm lining patterns. At some point in time I have misplaced the sleeve pattern, so that's disappointing. There is always the possibility that it has been mixed in with another pattern, so MAYBE I will come across it again. When I make this dress I always do a fully lined bodice. I tend to use lighter weight fabrics with this one so it just works out better that way. This time since I'm using a netting I did a lining piece and facings too I start by cutting the bodice pieces out of both main and lining fabrics. I sew the front bodice to the back on both fabrics at the shoulders. Then with right sides together I line up both sections and stitch together at the neck and arms. Next I turn it right side out(wrong sides together) and sew the darts in the front, bust, and back. Lastly I sew thee side seams and set it aside. 
Inside view of bodice lining and darts

Next I move on to the skirt. This is a simple gathered skirt with a pleated panel in the front. I just followed the pleat line of the front panel. Then I gathered the two back panels, and stitched them to the front. I attached the skirt to the bodice making sure to line up the side seams. At this point all that is left to do is add the zipper. Here you want to make sure that you leave a enough of the center back ungathered so it will be easier to attach the zipper. I find that it makes it harder to zip if the fabric is thicker in any given spot. 
The finished dress
I added a petticoat underneath to make the skirt fuller, and I think it added so much to the finished look. I love the bright pink, and how fun and playful this party dress turned out. 
Peekaboo Petticoat






No comments:

Post a Comment

March Vintage Pattern Project

March was so much fun. We had such a great group of ladies this time, and Shelby really knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I had a...