Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Week 12 The Red Dress

Week 12's pattern Simplicity 9025 from 1970 is one I have had for so long. It's one of the first vintgae patterns I ever bought. I got this from a local antique store my senor year of High School, and have never made it. It's one of those that I pull out from time to time, but I always end up going with something else. I can't believe it has taken me so long! This pattern sized 14 bust 36, and I went with view 3. I chose a cherry red mid weight knit that I have also been hanging on to waiting for the right project. I got to admit that I am a little aggravated at myself for not doing this one sooner. It turned out to be a really great pattern to work with.
View 3 in cherry knit
For this dress I tried to stay as true to the pattern as I could with the only changes being the bodice lining (what's new) and the trim on the front of the dress. The pattern consisted of 4 main pattern pieces, a lining piece for the front neck, back neck, and arm opening, and a guide for the trim. Now for the changes,  I just made an all in one lining for the front, and one for the back. As far as the trim goes, they recommended a lace or other pre-made ruffle trim. I decide to make the ruffle out of the same material as the dress. I love the contrast that the picture has with the back dress and white trim, but I worried that white on red would look a bit to Mrs. Claus. Also I wasn't feeling black trim, and matching reds is hard work. There is nothing wrong with the measurements they provide I just wanted a fuller ruffle so I made my cut wider and about 5 inches longer. I surged the ends and did a gather stitch down the center, then I used the guide marking the pattern piece provided. If I had to pick an issue with this one that was the step that gave me the most trouble. Only because I am picky and spent way too long placing the ruffles just so. I also omitted the button detail that they suggested for the center of the ruffles because I felt it took away from my dress. I put in the zipper closer in the back of this dress, but with it being knit I could have skipped that step. I would have if the fabric didn't have the nice weight and lay that is does. 

I was pleased with the finished look of this one, and other that the cloak, this dress has had the most attention of any of my other weeks. I can see myself doing this one again in other colors and fabrics, I think this pattern has a lot of diversity to it and could be one of those that looks so different depending on your fabric choice. Though, I do not anticipate sewing those sleeves anytime soon

Sewn up in all her glory

No comments:

Post a Comment

March Vintage Pattern Project

March was so much fun. We had such a great group of ladies this time, and Shelby really knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I had a...