Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Week 11 Black and White Shirt Dress

What can I say, I LOVE a shirt dress. It has to be one of the most flattering dress styles out there, and this pattern does not disappoint. For week 11 I went with Simplicity 6833 size 12 bust 32 from 1966. I use a very thin stripe black and white cotton from Hobby Lobby and I like the Tim Burtonish feel it has. The dress fits like a modern size small, but would be very easy to re-size to fit just about anyone. This pattern had so many different variations. There are straight and full skirts, long and short sleeves, and pleats or no pleats on the bodice. Because the fabric was already so busy I decided to do the flat panel bodice, and (my favorite) a full skirt style. All views feature a collar, and I went with 3 because I liked the shorter sleeve and the cuff. 
View three and the striped fabric
My goodness this is an easy pattern. I found the instructions very clear and easy to follow. It is a very basic pattern if you choose one of the options with out the pleats. I cant imagine any issues that could arise with that option either unless there was some sort of misprint. I followed the instructions on all steps except for the front gap on the skirt and the neck lining in the back. I made the incision shorter than recommended by about 3 or 4 inches, and I think it made the skirt lay better. I also added a large hook and eye closer (not pictured) at the waist seam line and a snap on the skirt opening to help with gaping.  I feel like I could have even gone a bit father down with it, but it's fine where I stopped. 
Blue pin mark of the patterns guide
and bias taped opening of where I stopped.
Ignore the unfinished seam at the waist line.
The other change I made was the neck facing. I did the one on the front of the bodice because it was all one piece that was folded over to be the backing for the buttons and button holes, and you want to have plenty of support there. But, for the back I didn't think it was necessary. I did a bias tape binding on the collar so that would have just been added bulk to the neck seam, and could potential keep it from laying neatly. Also, it was just one extra step that I didn't see the point in.
Bias binding on neck 
Inside view of front bodice
I really liked this pattern. I love how great it came together, and the look of the finished dress. Its a great shirt dress pattern, and an easy enough one that I would recommend to just about anyone. I want to make this again with a less busy fabric so I can do the pleated version. 
One of my favorite patterns so far!




No comments:

Post a Comment

March Vintage Pattern Project

March was so much fun. We had such a great group of ladies this time, and Shelby really knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I had a...