Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Week 5 Poodles and Velvet

This week was a simple one, and thank goodness. I picked McCall's 2630 from 1970 I chose a grey chiffon with flocked poodles, and a black velvet to use. The pattern consisted of 5 main pattern pieces, and the instructions were simple and straight forward. It is a size 12 with a 34" bust that fits like a modern small/medium. I found this pattern at a local antique store and it only cost me .50 cents. It was part of a pick 10 for $5 box. The poodle fabric I've had for a couple years, and I picked up the black from Joann's. 
size 12
34"bust
I went with view B for this one, because I wanted to do the short sleeves. Honestly, I could have gone for all three versions of this one.  I love the waistline on this pattern. How it comes to a v and has slight gathering across the sides and back would look flattering on so many body types.

As far as construction goes, this one was simple. It would make a good option for somebody that was just starting out, or looking for a quick day project. It came together quickly and easily. For my version I shortened the skirt slightly and changed the lining/ facings for the bodice. I did run into the same common problem of ends not lining up properly. As always it's an easy fix, and didn't hinder the look of the final project.  Since I made the skirt of the dress in a chiffon I needed to add a lining. I used a silver satin and hemmed it about 2 inches shorter that the poodles. I added an invisible zipper in back.
uneven edges of front and back panels of the bodice 

All done!
I loved the look of the finished project, but I think I may do this one again as the long sleeve version. I can see this becoming one of my go to patterns. It was just too easy, and fun to sew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March Vintage Pattern Project

March was so much fun. We had such a great group of ladies this time, and Shelby really knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I had a...