Sunday, January 13, 2019

Week two here we go!

OK, week two's dress is done! This week I went for the vintage Simplicity pattern #4024 from 1961. It's labeled a "simple to make pattern", and it honestly only took a day to sew. It's a junior size 13 which is the equivalent to a modern women's small. I initially was planning on view 1, but ended up doing the shorter sleeves of view 2. I don't know why. I guess i was just feeling the other dress. I used a maroon shirting fabric with cream and tan dachshunds all over it. I had originally bought the fabric to make myself a dress, (I'm larger than a junior 13) but I thought it would be a perfect match for this pattern. I'm a sucker for dachshunds so Joann's saw me coming. I picked up a cream colored trim, and finished with some vintage pearly buttons that had come from my husband's grandmother's sewing  stash.

The dress has a front button closer, a full gathered skirt, and finished in rick rack trim.I agree that is a simple pattern, but there were a couple of issues I found with it. One was those pesky neck facings again. Now on this particular pattern I chose to leave the neck facing alone. Since I was adding the rick rack to the dress it's stitch line would follow the bottom of the facing, and I didn't feel the need to change it.
We meet again neck facings

My other complaint is the opening on the  front of the skirt. Against my better judgment I decided to follow the cutting line on the pattern sheet, and the bias binding in the directions. The cut was way too long, and even though the folds overlapped each other there was still a question of being able to see through the slit. Simplicity's solution was to sew in snaps and hook and eye, but i didn't see the point in all that. I ended up sewing all but about two inches of gap closed. On the outside it looks much nicer, and still left plenty of room to slip the dress on. I'm not 100% happy with the inside, so I may go back and tinker with it. For now though it's finished.
Big ole gap
My "fix"

right side view after alteration
Overall I was pleased with the way the dress turned out. I thought the instructions provided were well written and easy to follow. I do think Simplicity patterns are pretty good about that. I liked my choice of fabric for this pattern, and had fun sewing it.
TA DA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March Vintage Pattern Project

March was so much fun. We had such a great group of ladies this time, and Shelby really knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I had a...