Monday, January 7, 2019

Week One The Flannel Dress

I decided that for January i would go with the color maroon. I already had a length of fabric in that shade so i was looking for coordinating prints. For week one I chose this medium weight maroon, grey, and mustard flannel plaid. I came across it at Joann Fabric. Not only did it coordinate well with the fabric I already owned, but I felt like it had a Gryffindor vibe to it. That has nothing to do with the actual project, but just my tendency to make everything about Harry Potter.

The pattern I chose to use is McCall's 8096 size 12 from 1965. I have to be honest and admit that i don't really care for McCall's patterns. I find that there is always something off about the instructions, the way the pattern pieces line up, or the fit of the garment. But that's just my opinion. This one however was pretty good. The instructions were missing a page. What I did have seemed easy enough to follow, and detailed enough if you were new to dressmaking. I did run into a slight issue with the bodice pieces.
Pattern and fabric

One thing i don't care for (and this goes for all garments) is how they do the lining. I honestly cant stand the small neck facing pattern that most use. I prefer an all lined bodice or for the lining to follow the cut of the arm hole. This one was no different. While my goal is to try and stay as true to the pattern as possible that is one alteration I make. 

 
Original pattern piece (boo) and my altered version

Finished! See how nice that looks. 

Now we get to the yoke and the lower portion of the bodice not lining up. It's an easy enough fix. I just adjusted my seam lines on the princess seams, and that solved the problem. I find that issue is common in patterns. Its a minor thing, but still can be kinda annoying.  

overlap where the top portion (yoke) is slightly too short 

With all that said and done, I did really like this pattern. I thought it sewed up nicely, and the finished product turned out great. Its a size 12 which is equivalent to a modern dress size small. 

There she is! She's all done 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March Vintage Pattern Project

March was so much fun. We had such a great group of ladies this time, and Shelby really knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I had a...